What is acne and what causes it?
We all know how frustrating it is to deal with acne. The moment a pimple appears the first thing most people do is pop it (which is a big no, no!). What you may not know is that acne is caused when the tiny holes in the skin (known as hair follicles) become blocked with oils, dirt, and dead skin. When these small holes are blocked you are most likely prone to develop a pimple or two. As awful it is to deal with acne on your face or body, just know you are not alone. Almost 10% of the world’s population suffers from acne, with it being most common amongst teenagers and also affects people of all ages too.
Types of acne
There are several different types of acne, we have listed them below to educate you on each type and what they may look like:
- Whiteheads – are a closed plugged pore, filled with excess oil and dead skin.
- Blackheads – are just as common as whiteheads, are filled with excess oil and dead skin as well but is an open plugged pore that appears like dark tiny spots.
- Cysts or Cystic acne – are the most stubborn and painful acne with bumps on the skin that appears red with pus.
- Nodules – are large solid pimples, that form deep under the skin and can be painful.
- Papules – are small, red, raised bumps that come in lesions or groups, caused by inflamed or infected hair follicles.
- Pustules/pimples – are pus-filled that looks like whiteheads with a slight reddish appearance
A few other factors that can cause acne is stress, smoking, lack of sleep, not drinking enough water, using too much hair products near your forehand or using the wrong skincare products, family history, and hormonal changes due to puberty, pregnancy, or birth control pills. It is very important to not pop your acne due to it causing even more emotional distress and scarring on the skin.
Knowing the type of acne that you are dealing with is important with how to treat and combat it, for severe acne we do advise seeking a healthcare professional for further treatment and advice. A change in lifestyle can help with getting your acne under control and get your confidence back, as long as you stay consistent. Of course, drinking more water will help with clearing your skin, what you eat may also affect your skin and staying as sanitary as you can with your phone, pillow sheets and hands will help prevent uninvited bacteria from causing even more acne.
Our Blass Balm is always here to the rescue, made with all natural ingredients to help with reducing inflammation with ingredients like Rosemary, a potent antioxidant herb to heal and soothe the skin, reducing redness and swelling. The Blass Balm is great to add to your beauty skincare routine and also improves the appearance of dark spots and acne scars. For the best results apply twice a day (morning and night) prior to using any other acne solution treatment and watch how your skin will become clear and even within 8-10 weeks, boosting your confidence like never before!